Exchange API Products
The Exchange API is for developers looking to create automated betting systems or custom betting interfaces for themselves or for Betfair customers. The Exchange API is available for the Global, Spanish and Italian Betfair Exchange
The API contains a powerful set of features that enable advanced market navigation, search, odds retrieval, bet placement and sports related data retrieval. The Exchange API is made up of the following key components:
- Betting API - Contains Exchange markets navigation, odds retrieval and bet placement operations. Reporting functionality relating to settled bets is also available.
- Accounts API - Contains account related operations such as the ability to retrieve your available account balance as well as Vendor Services API operations that are available to licensed Software Vendors
- Exchange Stream API - allows you to subscribe to market changes (both price and definitions) and orders.
- Heartbeat API - allows you to automatically cancel unmatched bets in the event of your API client/s losing connectivity.
- Race Status API - allows you to establish the status of a horse race or greyhound market both prior to and after the start of the race.
There are a number of documentation resources available:
Getting Started Guide - provides all the information required regarding licensing, login and making your first requests via the Betfair API
Reference Guide - the latest documentation for the Betfair API.
Sample Code - code samples are available in a number of programming languages.
Developer Forum - discuss your issue with our experienced developer forum community.
Demo Tools - allow you to quickly test API operations via an easy to use interface.
Benefits & Features
The main benefits and features of the Exchange API include:
Access to the Exchange API is free of charge for development purposes*# to all developers for personal use only.
No data request charges for requests made via the Exchange API
Lightweight protocol (JSON/JSON-RPC).
Configure the depth of the best prices returned to you.
Place LIMIT and FILL_OR_KILL orders.
Rollup available prices - you can configure the rollup amount and type.
Retrieve data from multiple markets in one request.
Retrieve matched and unmatched bets and prices available via a single request.
Search by MarketType (MATCH_ODDS, WIN, PLACE etc.) flags which remain the same, regardless of language.
Search for in-play markets.
View ‘result’ by selection after settlement.
View virtual prices.
* does not apply to commercial access. Please see Commercial Opportunities for details of commercial licensing
# You should use your Delayed Application key for development purposes.
There are a number of different Commercial API licences available and these fit into the definitions below
|Please note: We do not accept licence applications from India, Bangledesh, Sri Lanka or the UAE|
Software Vendor Licence
We wish to create a betting app to distribute to Betfair customers.
Please see Vendor Program for further information on how to apply for a Software Vendor Licence.
Odds Publisher Licence
We are a Betfair Affiliate & want to publish Betfair odds.
If your not an Affiliate, you can apply via https://affiliates.betfair.com/ > Join Now
Please note: Sites "under construction" will not be accepted
Betting Operator Licence
We are a licensed Betting Operator wanting to use Exchange data.
Please contact us via https://developer.betfair.com/en/get-started/ > Exchange API > In A Commercial Context for further information.