- What is an Application Key?
- How to Create An Application Key
- Live & Delayed Application Keys Usage
- How do I activate my Live App Key?
- Delay & Live Application Keys Overview
- Commercial Licensing
What is an Application Key?
In order to use the Betting & Accounts API, you need to have an Application Key. The Application Key identifies your API client. Two App Keys are assigned to a single Betfair account, one live App Key and onefor testing.
You must pass the Application Key with every HTTP request. You do this by setting the HTTP header with the value of the key assigned by Betfair.
Please note: App Key generation is for personal betting purposes only. All data/API usage in any commercial context must be approved by Betfair.
Unauthorised commercial usage will be identified & blocked.
How to Create An Application Key
You can create an Application Key for your Betfair account using the Accounts API Demo Tool and createDeveloperAppKeys operation
- Click on the Accounts API Demo Tool link
- Select the createDeveloperAppKeys operation from the list of Operations on the top left hand side of the demo tool.
- Enter a sessionToken in the 'Session Token (ssoid)' text box. You can find instructions on how to find your sessionToken via your browser here.
- Enter your Application Name (this must be unique) in the 'Request' column. The Application Name can be any name of your choice, but like your Betfair username, must be unique.
- Press Execute at the bottom of the 'Request' column.
Two Application Keys will then be created and displayed in the Developer Apps column the demo tool
- The X-Application header is not required when using the createDeveloperAppKeys or the getDeveloperAppKeys service.
- The Application Name must be unique.
We are aware that when using some browser versions to create App Keys the Demo Tool throws an UNEXPECTED_ERROR when requesting createDeveloperAppKeys. Using an alternative browser/s should resolve this problem.
You should also ensure that your Application Name is unique as attempts to create a duplicate Application Name will return an APP_KEY_CREATION_FAILED error response.
Live & Delayed Application Keys Usage
Theservice will assign two Application Keys (App Keys) to your Betfair account.
Upon creation, the Live Application Key will be inactive.
- The Delayed App Key operates on the live (production) Betfair Exchange and not a testbed/sandbox environment.
The Delayed App Key should be use for development purposes and any functional testing. The key provides delayed Betfair price data. The delay is variable between 1-180 second snapshots.
- The Delayed App Key must also be used in simulation/practice applications where the facility to bet into live Betfair markets is not available.
- The Delayed App Key does not return traded volume data 'totalMatched' or EX_ALL_OFFERS via listMarketBook.
How do I activate my Live App Key?
To apply for a Live Application key please take note of the below:
Before applying, please:
- Complete any testing using your Delayed Application key.
- Ensure that your account has been fully verified in line with our KYC policy. Please note: We do not accept licence applications from India, Bangledesh, Sri Lanka or the UAE.
- Check that your account is funded to cover the £299 activation fee.
Please note: A one-off activation fee of £299 applies; this is debited directly from your Betfair account once access is approved.
To apply for a Live Application key for personal betting use please click here and select Exchange API > For My Personal Betting and complete the application form at the bottom of the page.
Delay & Live Application Keys Overview
Please see below table for a summary of the data/services available to Delayed & Live Application Keys.
Delayed Application Key
Live Application Key
|Use For||Development||Live betting applications|
Live Price Data
|Read Only Access Allowed||Yes||No**|
Bet Placement (Live Exchange)
Total Matched by Selection
|Total Matched by Market||Yes||Yes|
|BSP Far & Near Price||Not Available||Yes|
*Delay is variable between 1-180 seconds
**Restrictions will be applied to 'read only' Live App Keys
***Any new Delayed App Keys created since 8th April 2020
haved default access to Stream API.
Otherwise please contact Developer Support for access
There are a number of different Commercial API licences available and these fit into the definitions below:
Software Vendor Licence
We wish to create a betting app to distribute to Betfair customers.
Please see Developer Support for further information on how to apply for a Software Vendor Licence.
Odds Publisher Licence
We are a Betfair Affiliate & want to publish Betfair odds.
If your not an Affiliate, you can apply via https://affiliates.betfair.com/ > Join Now
Betting Operator Licence
We are a licensed Betting Operator wanting to use Exchange data.
Please contact us via Developer Support for further information.